Thursday, February 26, 2009

Interview with a 56 year old retrenched worker who is not allowed to withdraw his CPF

Source: Wayang Party Club

Background:

Mr Tong (not his real name) is a single 56 year old Chinese man who used to work as a warehouse supervisor. He was retrenched 3 months ago and has been looking for a job. Due to a previous accident which left two metal implants in both his legs, he had difficulties securing a job.

He withdrew part of his CPF at 55 years old and still has over a $1,000 left in his CPF account. When he approached CPF Board to request for withdrawal of the remaining amount, he was told he need to wait for 6 months before he can apply. In the meantime, he has used up his savings and cannot even afford three simple meals a day.

Part 1


Part 2


“I don’t have a job now, I don’t have a single cent, I am worse off than a begger, I am worse off than death !”

“What I want is my OWN retirement money ! They want me to wait till 64 years old, I don’t think I can live that long with my current health ! I ask them to help me and they say it is not possible. Why not possible ??? It is MY MONEY !!!”

0 comments: