Sunday, July 18, 2010

Did I just "distribute" the banned video of Dr Lim on my blog?

18 July 2010

The cowards have done it again. Martyn See's video recording of a speech by 20-year ISA detainee Dr Lim Hock Siew was banned last week by the Singapore Government.

They've taken it a leap further this time though, because they even asked the filmmaker to remove the video from YouTube, which is an internationally accessed site.

But the PAP is not bigger than the Internet, so you can watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nEyfVOKrPo. And why not I just embed the video (in 3 parts) on my blog for the benefit of all my International readers?







The ban of the above video comes just one week after the Government made local bookstores take down "Once A Jolly Hangman", a book on the death penalty in Singapore. The Media Development Authority (MDA) even have the cheek to come out and say that the book is "not banned".

Only cowards ban harmless material that give the public the other side of social and political stories. But perhaps the PAP are worse than cowards, because not only do they ban material like the book, they don't enough have the spine to say that they've banned it.

I hear that "Once A Jolly Hangman" is available in the reference section of the National Library and not available for loan. But as far as I'm concerned, if local bookstores have been compelled to take the book off their shelves, then its banned.

On my end, I made a new video documentary on Francis Seow and have submitted it to the MDA for rating. They have sent me a series of questions and I will answer them this week, so let's see how that turns out.

For more info on the video visit Martyn's Blog and for the book visit Yawning Bread and The Online Citizen.

2 comments:

Looi said...

Hi Seelan,

Just to inform, the link provided is no longer available..

Was the original video of Dr Lim Hock Siew removed?

But no worries! Apparently someone re-posted the video again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nEyfVOKrPo

Seelan Palay said...

Thank you Looi, I've amended my post.