Monday, January 5, 2015

Happy Birthday JBJ, 5 Years Later

Today, January the 5th, is the birthday of Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam (JBJ), one of Singapore's most respected opposition politicians. He passed away in September 2008, and this is a video I made for his birthday in January 2009.


Actually it was a nightmare for me to make this video, because I feel that he did not see justice done to himself within his lifetime. But others such as Low Thia Khiang, who did not provide him help when he needed it the most, remain in parliament till this very day.

At his funeral, as his coffin went into the incinerator, everyone in attendance stood and sang 'Majulah Singapura'. That was probably the first time I felt every single word of it being sung in pure, crushing sincerity. And of course, it crushed me. As the crematorium cleared out at the end... I remained, crying, as a few of my friends waited by.

Five years later, I believe we are starting to see the changes he spent his whole life fighting for. Singaporeans have started waking up, not all of them surely, but so many more than before. And in this next coming election, I know we will see Singapore moving forward in the right direction.

0 comments: